New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor the Sigfox API with PRTG?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Can I use PRTG to monitor values from the Sigfox API? What steps do I need to take?

api prtg rest-custom sigfox

Created on Jul 9, 2018 10:40:40 AM by  Brandy Mauff [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 18 or later

Monitoring the Sigfox API with the REST Custom Sensor

The Sigfox API uses the HTTP protocol, which follows the REST principles. Using the REST Custom Sensor, you can monitor the Sigfox API. This way you can monitor information like the number of messages received from your Sigfox-connected device, for example.

API Access

The first step is to get your API Access credentials from the Sigfox backend. You will need these for authentication when setting up your REST Custom Sensor in PRTG.

Note: The Sigfox API documentation is tailored depending on user rights. See the API documentation in the Sigfox Portal for more information.

Create a REST Configuration File

Because the REST Custom Sensor maps JSON/XML results to sensor values, the mapping rule has to be available as a REST configuration file in JSON template (*.template) format according to the PRTG API definition for Custom Sensors.

In the \Custom Sensors\rest sub-directory of the probe system's PRTG program directory, create a new REST configuration file, for example:

{
	"prtg": {
		"result": [{
				"channel": "Messages last Day",
				"CustomUnit": "#",
				"value": $.lastDay
			}, {
				"channel": "Messages last Week",
				"value": $.lastWeek
			}, {
				"channel": "Messages last Month",
				"value": $.lastMonth
			}
		]
	}
}

Give the template a descriptive name like sigfox.device.template. You will need this when setting up the sensor.

Create a REST Custom Sensor

The next step to montoring the Sigfox API is to add a REST Custom Sensor to your PRTG installation.

• Create a new device or use an existing device in PRTG and enter backend.sigfox.com/api as IPv4 Address/DNS Name.
  • Configure the sensor as follows.

Sensor Settings
Click here to enlarge.

• Select HTTPS as Request Protocol.
  • Select Basic authentication as Authentication Method.
  • Under User, enter the Login from your Sigfox API Access.
  • Under Password, enter the Password from your Sigfox API Access.
  • Under REST Query, enter a valid query for your REST resource. For example,

/devices/<Device-ID>/messages/metric

Note: Replace <Device-ID> with the ID of your device in the Sigfox backend.

• Under REST Configuration, select the REST configuration file sigfox.device.template that you created earlier.
  • Click Create to create the sensor.

The sensor now displays the information from the Sigfox API. REST Custom Sensor
Click here to enlarge.

More

How can I monitor Sigfox Callbacks with PRTG?

How can I monitor Sigfox Geolocation with PRTG?

Created on Jul 9, 2018 1:33:51 PM by  Brandy Mauff [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 1:02:49 PM by  Brandy Mauff [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.